Because the Russia-Ukraine struggle enters its 104th day, we check out the primary developments.
Listed here are the important thing occasions to this point on Tuesday, June 7.
Get the most recent updates right here.
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy appealed for extra weapons to reach sooner, saying issues might change into very tough for Ukraine if Russian forces break by the entrance strains in Donbas.
- Zelenskyy says his nation’s forces should not giving up positions in Severodonetsk, the primary Donbas metropolis not in Russian arms, the place road combating is raging. He did, nevertheless, admit that Russian forces had a numerical benefit within the battle.
- The Institute for the Examine of Battle (ISW) says Russian forces possible managed most of Severodonetsk as of Monday.
- On Monday morning, Russian forces shelled the city of Zolote, destroying 13 homes, Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai mentioned.
- Ukraine’s defence ministry mentioned on Monday that Russian forces had been additionally advancing in direction of Sloviansk, about 85km (53 miles) to the west of Severodonetsk.
- Reviews of heavy shelling close to town of Izyum counsel Russia is getting ready for a renewed effort on the northern axis, as its progress made by Might on the southern Popasna axis has stalled during the last week, Britain’s defence ministry mentioned.
- Russia’s ambassador to america accused Washington of harassing Russian journalists within the US, state information company RIA reported.
- The US accused Russia of making an attempt to “intimidate” American correspondents in Moscow who had been summoned by the Russian international ministry and threatened with reprisals due to US sanctions.
- Zelenskyy thanked British Prime Minister Boris Johnson for sending long-range missiles to Ukraine.
- No change within the US embassy posture in Kyiv, the state division mentioned, after Russian missiles hit the Ukrainian capital for the primary time in additional than a month. The US embassy had resumed its operations final month.
- US Ambassador to Moscow John Sullivan mentioned Washington and Moscow “should protect the flexibility to talk to one another”, urging Russia to not shut the US embassy, Russian state media reported.
- Russian international minister Sergey Lavrov was pressured to cancel a go to to Serbia on Monday after Bulgaria, Macedonia and Montenegro prevented his airplane from passing by their airspace, officers mentioned.
The human price of the struggle
- Greater than 14 million Ukrainians have been pressured to flee their houses for the reason that Russian invasion on February 24.
- Ukraine mentioned 263 youngsters have been killed on account of the invasion and battle, whereas greater than 467 have been injured.
- The “unprecedented” displacement of tens of millions of Ukrainians is “turning right into a human trafficking disaster”, UN Particular Consultant on Sexual Violence Pramila Patten mentioned.
- Russia has been urged to cease sexual violence allegedly carried out by its navy forces and armed proxies in Ukraine, allegations that Moscow denounced as “lies” at a gathering of the UN Safety Council.
- About 60 % of Ukrainians want psychological assist on account of the struggle, Ukraine’s first girl mentioned, including that Kyiv was engaged on establishing a nationwide help system.
- Russia has imposed sanctions on 61 US officers, together with US treasury secretary Janet Yellen and vitality secretary Jennifer Granholm, in retaliation for “consistently increasing US sanctions”, the international ministry mentioned.
- US authorities are pushing to grab two luxurious jets linked to Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich after a federal Justice of the Peace choose signed a warrant approving the transfer.
- Japan will freeze the property of two extra Russian banks and yet one more Belarusian financial institution as a part of extra sanctions for Russia’s Ukraine invasion, Japan’s international ministry mentioned.
- Zelenskyy mentioned as much as 75 million tonnes of grain could possibly be caught in Ukraine by this autumn, and that Kyiv needed anti-ship weapons that would safe secure passage for its exports.
- European Council President Charles Michel accused Russia of utilizing meals provides as “a stealth missile towards growing international locations” and blamed the Kremlin for a looming international meals disaster, prompting Moscow’s UN ambassador to stroll out of a Safety Council assembly.
- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken mentioned there are “credible studies” that Russia is “pilfering” Ukraine’s grain exports to promote for revenue.